With Christmas only a week away, there are many traditional treats that can be made. During this time of the year, things such as hot chocolate and candy canes are extremely popular but for a change, many people prefer to make cookies. This article includes all the steps to making your perfect Christmas cookies.
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (50g) white sugar
- ¾ cup (165g) dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 and ¼ (147g) white all-purpose flour (measured by spooning and leaving)
- ¾ (1 and ½ sticks; 170g) unsalted butter, at room temperature (not melted)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt (reduce if using table salt)
- ⅓ cup (54g) instant vanilla pudding mix (dry, not prepared, NOT sugar/fat-free)
- 1 cup (138g) funfetti (or yellow) cake mix, dry (Betty Crocker’s Super Moist Party Rainbow Chip recommended)
- ½ cup (80g) sprinkles
- 1 cup (181g) white chocolate chips
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 10 mins
Chilling Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 25 mins
- In a large bowl mix together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar (TIP: The butter should not be melted)
- Add in the egg and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the salt, flour, baking soda, unprepared pudding mix, and unprepared cake mix. Stir until combined.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix to JUST combine (do not overmix). (The cookie dough gets extremely thick) Add in the sprinkles and chips and gently fold into the dough with a spatula.
- Form cookie dough balls that are about 1.4 – 1.6 ounces in size. Chill in the fridge, covered, for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking liner.
- Place no more than 6 cookie dough balls per cookie sheet to give AMPLE room for the cookies.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes or until lightly browned at the edges and still soft (slightly under-bakes in the center; bake for about 11 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and allow to continue to “cook” on the cookie sheet for another 3-4 minutes. While they are on the cookie sheet add in a few more chocolate chips and sprinkles(optional).
- Remove cookies with a metal spatula and move to a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Cookies are best enjoyed the day they’re made.
- Store any leftovers (completely cooled) cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Ensure you don’t get cook & serve pudding and that you don’t get a sugar free/low sugar version.
- When measuring, spoon the flour into a measuring cup and level the top with the back of a butter knife.
- Use vanilla cake mix instead of funfetti/yellow for more intensely vanilla-flavored cake batter cookies.
- Use milk or semi-sweet chocolate chips in place of white chocolate chips (or use ½ cup of white)
- You can also use confetti chips and pastel chips.
- Course: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Keyword: Cake batter cookies
- Servings: 20 cookies
- Calories: 190 kcal